Long Island Railroad No. 35 is a G5s 4-6-0 “Ten Wheeler” built by the Pennsylvania Railroad‘s Juniata Shops in 1928 under works number 4201, for the then PRR subsidiary, the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). The G5s had a driving wheel diameter of 68in and had a distinctive Belpaire firebox.

It was part of the principal fleet of passenger locomotives alongside K4s and RS-3s, the latter of which eventually replaced them.

After 27 years of faithful service, No. 35 was formally retired in 1955 as the railroad replaced its steam locomotives with more efficient diesel-electric locomotives.

On October 8, 1955, the LIRR held a ceremony in Hicksville, NY to signify the end of steam operations on the railroad. Dubbed “Operation: Changeover”, the event featured Locomotives No. 35 and No. 39 each pulling a single coach to the station, where they met nose-to-nose. Two Alco RS-3 diesel locomotives then pulled each of the coaches away, and the two steamers deadheaded back to Morris Park, still nose-to-nose. After a couple of additional runs in the next week, including a fantrip on October 16 pulled by No. 35, the process of dieselization on Long Island was officially complete.

Following the event, No. 35 was donated by the LIRR to Nassau County, NY and was exhibited for many years in Salisbury (later Eisenhower) Park. After its removal from the park in 1978, several members of the Long Island Sunrise Trail NRHS Chapter continued to care for the partially dismantled locomotive, but plans for the locomotive’s future never came to fruition. In 1990, a group of young volunteers took on the task of caring for the long-neglected locomotive. This group eventually incorporated as the Friends of Locomotive No. 35, an organization that eventually evolved into the present-day Oyster Bay Railroad Museum, NY.

Today, No. 35 is currently being maintained by the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum.